Help Wanted

Coordinator
Jul 20, 2010 at 3:48 AM

We are always looking for people for everything from coding to GUI ideas.

Jul 26, 2010 at 9:03 PM
Hi. I played torchlight for a few months at the start of summer (VHSC). I don't quite understand what you are trying to do. I'm guessing it has something to do with modding? What are you coding in?
Coordinator
Jul 26, 2010 at 9:24 PM

Currently this project is composed of two parts:

- A library that contains a number of classes for parsing the Torchlight save game files (SVT's).

- A simple UI that displays the SVT information using WPF

I don't really know where this tool will end up long term but in the short term I'm hoping to add a few of the following features:

- Save Game Tracking (similar to source control for SVT's.) I plan to build a simple check-in check-out tool that will allow the user backup their saves and compare files.  This will help in analyzing the rest of the SVT file structure.

- Modify character stats, (a few people have asked for this).

- Extended storage options, when the shared stash is not enough.  Maybe store kits (groupings of weapons), swap all your weapons and armor just but a simple button press.

I'm certainly open to any other ideas.

This project is written in C# using .Net 4.0.

Developer
Aug 7, 2010 at 6:02 PM

Well, I'm sort of helping.

I'm actually going to try to expand on the effects and items settings. I do have  a few figured out. I started looking into this and trying to use these tools because of the heirloom HP bug. If you're not familiar with that, take an item that has a +HP bonus from enchantment on it and heirloom it once (retiring the character - restore from backup to undo the retirement). Now, when a character is using that heirloom and they gain a level, the HP bonus on it increases again. If you've enchanted and heirloomed the item several times, or leveled several times while using it, the HP bonus can grow so large it maxes the field and turns into negative max long. And kills the character either instantly, or the next time they pick up/drop any item. Anyway, that's why I'm here.

Not sure you want me submitting code directly - I'm a VB programmer. I can fake any C code I see though, and the code is getting more and more similar between the two. I mean, I was able to walk through and debug my early problems.  :)

I'll submit an entry under people. If I get access maybe I can submit things directly through TFS. Otherwise I don't know how you want to handle it.

Lode

Developer
Aug 10, 2010 at 12:43 AM

I would be glad to help with this. How do I get started?

Coordinator
Aug 10, 2010 at 2:54 AM
Edited Aug 10, 2010 at 3:01 AM
Alright sounds good. I'll add you as a Dev. What would you like to do? I have an idea for another plugin if you are interested.
Developer
Aug 14, 2010 at 12:42 AM

Just got around to connecting to the TFS. Yeah, I'd be glad to tackle a new plugin. What's the idea?

I'd like to add stat editing as well. What's your process for branching-merging-work items, etc?

Developer
Aug 14, 2010 at 7:58 AM

Glad to have ya!

So far it's been fairly informal. Slater seems to branch to work on new plugins. I did it once since I knew I was working on a bunch of interconnected things. But really as long as two people aren't working on the same plugin at once there shouldn't be a conflict. I mostly stick to tweaking existing things as that's about all I can handle. :)

Feel free to add and vote on work items. If you mark them when you are working on something, then the rest of us know what to expect.

Hmm. Stat editing. The original Character Viewer is still labelled as the Character Editor Plugin. Is there a way to turn on data editing in the tree control? Then we would need a binary stream writer to write everything back out, and it couls be another item on the context menu (with reset - probably would need to increase the menu size so users don't hit the wrong option). It would be neat to edit almost anything. With the File Store in place, it's their own fault if a user blasts something. We probably want to keep the plugins decoupled, but we could have it autmatically backup the file before saving changes. Just some random thoughts...

Coordinator
Aug 14, 2010 at 1:38 PM
Sorry I've been tied up with work and things for the past few days. My idea for another plugin was to take TorchKit (http://sourceforge.net/projects/torchkit/) and make it a plugin inside TorchView. I don't think the developers are working on it any more and it may need some updating. From the number of downloads it looks like it is a useful tool for people. The UI in TorchKit is written using WinForm so you will have to convert it to WPF, feel free to change the look and feel, even the organization of the settings. If you need help with anything just let me know. I think for now, everyone having there own dev branch or a branch for a major feature set (like a new plugin) of code is useful. I'm hoping to keep Main stable so that when new people want to help they can build/branch from a stable version. Once you are happy with the work you have done in you can merge your changes back into Main. I find it is helpful to periodically merge Main into your Dev branch so when the time comes to merge your code back it should be a lot simpler. As for where the Character Editor is going, here are my thoughts. I wrote the character editor in a tree structure so all the properties would be easily accessible. Once we decipher enough properties I would like to change the UI to support full editing (probably not a tree structure, i was thinking something richer and more user-friendly). We would also need to do property validation so it is harder for users to screw up their files. I was also thinking we would cross reference all the ids to the actual files stored in the torchlight media directory and try to show actual images. We would also support saving of svt files so users could modify their character then go use it in Torchlight. We would certainly backup the files prior to editing. I have an idea on how to do this with out coupling the two plugins. Let me know if you have anymore questions.
Developer
Aug 28, 2010 at 11:09 PM

So, my computer crashed and took my latest work with it. Fun fun. So it's taken me a week to get back. Now I need to re-identify the changes I lost.

Anyway, I wanted to make a note here: Make your own branch if you are going to make even temporary changes. If something happens to you or your computer, it is safer if that happens in a branch. Even if this can be overridden/fixed, it's just easier to only commit confirmed/working changes to the main branch and never have anything checked out of there directly.

Developer
Oct 13, 2010 at 4:42 AM

Hi, I have downloaded the source code and have been working on the shared stash editor. I would like to submit my codes (fixed some bugs in the core library). Can I join as a dev?

Coordinator
Oct 13, 2010 at 3:48 PM

Sure just send me a request in the people section.